Wednesday 4 July 2007

Careless Talk

Through some combination of vigilance, good work and good luck Britain escaped from two terrorist attrocities relativelu unscathed last week. For this we should all be very thankful.

I'm not going to pretend to understand what would drive somebody to do these things. And that it appears that so many of those responsible are doctors or other medical staff - people who we would assume would be dedicated to saving lives, not taking them - is even more shocking.

The comment I want to make actually concerns something that I heard on Radio 5 on Saturday afternoon whilst the incident at Glasgow was still unclear what had happened. They were interviewing somebody who was part of one of the government's security advisory groups and whilst talking about the security measures that had meant the attack in Glasgow had been relatively ineffective, he said something along the lines of "The real nightmare scenario that would do the most damage and be hardest to guard against is ..." and proceeded to describe it in quite a lot of detail.

I've got to say I was quite surprised - is that something we really want broadcast on national radio. Even if we take it that the likes of Al Qaeda are organised enough to have considered all the options, etc..., we probably should consider that there are other people out there who might maybe be inspired for some reason or another to commit such an attrocity.

Is this a symptom of the culture we live in, with so much constant news coverage that everything gets analysed to the point of overload and "experts" get stuck on the air to comment on situations where so little is known, that they have to say something and sometimes this is something that probably shouldn't be said. Or am I just being a bit paranoid here?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paranoid!

I don't think there is much that anyone can say that hasn't already been thought of already the terrorists.

What surprised me about people driving into glasgow airport was the sophistication (or lack of) in what they were doing. If i was going to kill myself in that way, and to harm as many people as possible (which you pleased to hear I don't!), i would want to do a better job than they did!

I am so glad they were incompetent, but surprised!

Tony said...

I agree with you that there's not much organised terrorist groups won't have considered, but I think there are also random nutcases as well, which is the point I was trying to make.

I guess the wider question I was trying to make is about the information age we live in - so much media space to fill. There seems to be an unspoken assumption that anything can and should be broadcast and I'm not totally sure I agree with that.

I agree there was a lot to be thankful about last weekend. Its beginning to look like it might have been more of panic move because the authorities were closing in, but maybe we'll never know in full.